This is week 3 of my powerlifting training, but the first week of cutting down my training to 4 days per week vs. 5-7. My goal is to continue to increase strength and improve my technique in the main lifts(Squat, BP, DL). The plan to do this is to still work up to a top set in each lift, but also increase volume based on Prilepin’s Chart to grease the groove in the compound movements.
I will be giving a weekly over view of training to:
- Hold myself accountable.
- Track progress.
For my nutrition plan I am currently carb-cycling; on days I train I consume more carbs and rest days I have very little. My BW is between 197-202lbs. I track my macros daily, this has helped me with understanding what my body needs to perform optimally and recover faster. I have been keeping my calories around 2000-2400 depending on the day. My macros consist of Protein(200-250g), Carbs(50-300g), Fats(50-100g).
Day 1- 7/15/18
- Squat-Single Ply Suit with Wraps: 430×1,1,1,1,1
- Bench Press-Pause: 250×1
- Bench Press: 215×6,6,6
- Deadlift-Sumo Pause: 370×3,3,3,3,3
- Bench Press-Wide Grip Feet-Up: 190×5,5,5
- Sit Rows: 120×15,15,15
Note: This day went well, dealing with some shoulder issues but that’s about it. Still learning the suit and wraps, but feeling good!
Day 2- 7/16/18
- Bench Press- Single Ply Shirt: 280×1,1,1,1,1
- Squat: 365×1
- Squat: 320×3,3,3,3,3,3
- Floor Press: 220×5,5,5
- Romanian Deadlift: 295×5,5,5
- Chest Supported Row: 40’sx15,15,15
Note: Another good day! Shirt is great and squat is feeling solid.
Day 3- 7/18/18
- Deadlift-Sumo Single Ply Suit: 470×1,1,1,1,1
- Bench Press-Pause: 250×1
- Bench Press-2bd: 230×6,6,6
- Box Squat-SS Bar: 265×5,5,5
- Bench Press-Spoto: 205×5,5, 210×5
- Lat Pulldown: 140×10,10,10
Note: Feeling great! DL moved well and the suit feels awesome. Using the box squats in my sumo stance to strengthen hips, glutes, and hamstrings.
Day 4- 7/20/18
- Squat: 365×1,1,1,1,1
- Bench Press- Close Grip Sling Shot: 275×1
- Bench Press- Close Grip Sling Shot: 230×6,6,6
- Goodmornings-SS Bar: 245×5,5,5
- Bench Press-Incline Close Grip: 165×5,5,5
- Rear Delts: 30’sx12,10+10,12+12+10
Note: Squat is feeling better since switching to flat shoes and changing my grip to thumbs over. Goodmornings to build posterior. Still need to really blast my hamstrings and back to improve my squat.
Overall this week went great. I am confident that cutting training back to 4 days a week will allow for better recovery while accumulating the volume and the intensity needed to progress.
My nutrition is on point and I will continue tracking macros daily. Carb-cycling seems to be working good for me, so no need to change anything.
Sleep needs improvement. I will work on getting at least 8hrs. of sleep a day.
For this next week my plan will be to:
- Get at least 8hrs. of sleep a day.
- 300 banded leg curls a week.
- 50 kettlebell swings a day.
- 300 banded tricep extensions a week.
I really want to improve my squat and bench press, so I am looking for the answer through hard-work and dedication. I think the added work on top of my training will help assist in improving some of my weak points.
What kind of training do you do? If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions please feel free to leave them below.
If you look at what you have in life, you’ll always have more. If you look at what you don’t have in life, you’ll never have enough.-Oprah Winfrey
Until next week, strength is mind & muscle!
All the best,